Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Raindrops keeping falling on my head...

Rihanna sang about them; Julie Andrews had a talking one; and there's all kinds of superstitions about them being open inside... It's all about UMBRELLAS today!

Personal Background

I love them... Do I have one when I need one? Nope, not always, but I think they add a touch of style (or they can) to your rainy day outfit. Why not have an umbrella with your favorite team, your favorite neon, or an obnoxious pattern?! You don't have to see it all day anyway. And, it's functional, of course. It serves a distinct purpose. I love the water, but I hate being wet and cold, so these babies are my friends!

Sometimes, you have to just let yourself be a kid in the rain though!!


So, a little history...

Top 8 facts from the history of the umbrella! And for more, click here.
1. From Latin word umbra, meaning shade
2. Started in China, 11th century BC (wow!) made out of a stick and leaves arranged around the top
3. Parasol comes from the Latin papare (prepare) and sol (sun) -- sun shade!
4. In Egypt in 1200 BC, fair skin was seen as more royal, so parasols protected your reputation
5. In the middle ages, umbrellas declined in use, though popular by the Pope in the 12th century (trendsetter-- popularity came back)
6. Showed up in England in the Restoration period (before that seen as frivolous)
7. King of Batam once presented Prince Rupert with a gift of two umbrellas (who died shortly after this and the kingdom of Batam began to decline); this event likely explaining the superstition of opening umbrellas inside
8. In 1786, Jon Beale designed the first canopy umbrella just after umbrellas were seen as more functional and a protector of weather again

Umbrella, ella, ella, ella... eh eh eh... (You know you want to sing!)

So, apparently, there's a record-breaking umbrella dance we should all see that is talked about here!!
And a video of the dance here!

A goal... (or two)

Not to forget my umbrella on those rainy days! And to pick a bright umbrella upon my next purchase! On those rainy days, I'm convinced I need a more cheerful color - like yellow!!


Umbrella-inspired fashion...

Good job, Burberry! Some use of color, though I suggest even brighter next time! ha!


And, at your local Macy's...

Pretty cute; pretty bright! For more, click here. Note: It's on sale!


Looking up...

Maybe there will be times when an umbrella is not enough, or we just don't have one with us! There was a time when those disciples of Christ were looking all around in quite a storm, yet their Savior was sound asleep... He knew He was in charge, and He knew beyond His circumstance that things would be okay because God is in control. No umbrella needed... Read more here!

No comments:

Post a Comment