Personal Background...
Ballet was introduced to me at the age of 4, and I didn't stop until about 12! It was a love/hate relationship with the art... Yet, I kept coming back to it every year, and now, I miss it. It took so much thought to do it correctly. Constant feedback to all of us young ballerinas was - "shoulders back, stomach in, and hips under"... Hips under?? I still don't understand that one!! Ha!!
Please someone explain!
Anyone remember this, by the way?!! Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious!!
So, a little history...
1400s – Northern Italy and then in France – Ballet immerges
at equestrian or other sporting events by members of the court. There were
teachers on hand to give instruction about how to properly dance: including
positions and particular bows.
1500s – Ballet was performed as a series of dances for
the first time, though these were not yet woven together to create one story
per performance.
Ballet-mascarade was created by Louis the XIII and introduced
more dramatics and costume – even acrobatics to the scene.
Ballet à entrée was first to introduce a storyline to the
series of dances. And by the late 1500s, ballet had caught on for more
individuals past the noble court members (if they had proper training) and they
were hired on. At the end of this style of dance, the audience members would
dance along with the performers (except for the commoners)… Side note: I wish
we did that now – even us commoners!! That’s all I wanted to do after seeing
The Nutcracker was find some proper shoes and DANCE!!
1600s – Ballet-melodramatique – Introduce song to the
whole production which further led to opera! Who knew?!? (Not me!)
And by 1630, the ballet dancers were drawing paying
customers!! Not just royals either!
There you have it... A synopsis with the help of this site.
From a real ballerina...
Veronica Part of the American Ballet Theater (from Russia and then moved to the US) on David Letterman (2009) here. Found this fascinating!
Construction of those shoes...
Always fascinated with those remarkable pointe shoes. Here's how they come to be... Heard there's even burlap in there... Burlap? Just doesn't go, does it?
Look here for a view from the Freed Pointe Shoe Factory in London
A goal... (or two)
Barre (how do you say it? Like ballet sounds like "bough-lay" in TX speak, is Barre like "bear-ray" or is it just "bar"? Somebody help me!) Anyway, would love to take a class... Know those are really popular now! First, find out how to pronounce it!!
Ballet inspired fashion...
Isn't this lovely?! But where do you wear this? ha! And not thinking it would look the same on me!
And, at your local Macy's...
(Note: I do not work for Macy's or have any affiliation. I just thought it would be fun to "bring it home" to us that don't have the means to go high fashion. And I read one person's blog faithfully who is actually paid by Nordstrom, though her blog is about much more... Nordstrom is not my normal stop, but me - a plain jane gal from TX - I can do Macy's! And I love Macy's... I mean, Miracle on 34th Street?!? Who doesn't love Macy's after that?! Including their "throw back" commercial a few years back: Remember this?) I'm an old school girl, anyway... Lucille Ball featured - can't miss that!)
Some cute (yes?) ballet-inspired flats... A little pricier than I would tpyically go for, but look how dainty those are... Want to go to the ballet again and wear these!! Maybe with the outfit above??? Nope, would likely get a few too many stares!
Well, website says 10% off of these today as well... Thinking about hitting "Add to Cart"... How about you? See them here.
Looking up...
And since, another goal of mine is to honor the Lord in all I do... Here's a little section of scripture on dancing... But not us... Thank you, Lord for dancing over us because you love us, though we don't deserve it!
Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT): For the LORD your God is living
among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness.
With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with
joyful songs.”
Zeph. 3:17 – “rejoice over you” – literally means “dance,
skip, leap, and spin around in joy”


No comments:
Post a Comment