Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Lang May Yer Lum Reek!!

That title sounds really negative, right? Well, I found out that lum = chimney and reek = smoke, and that this is a Scottish greeting meaning "May you have a prosperous future!" or "Long may you have smoke in your chimney"!!  I like that!!!

So, Scottish, Irish, English, Roman??? Who do you think of when you hear the word "bagpipes"?? Or maybe, like me, you just think of one of our Friends, Ross (click here for reference - ha)!

Personal Background...
Not really any... Though it's rumored I have Irish, English, and Scottish ancestors, and I'm sure at least one of them could play a tune on one of these babies!! I did dress up as a Scottish bagpiper two Halloweens ago! So fun!!

So, a little history... 
I certainly don't think of Romans, but with a little checking, it appears the Romans introduced the instrument to this part of the world. Not a real shock... The shock for me was that it didn't catch on right away. And that the Irish took hold of it and then let it go once they were more an indoor society (since it was loud and I guess, better set for the outdoors?). Anyway, the Irish felt the Scottish had taken it and run with it (not literally), as well as other parts of the Irish traditional culture, and so when they took it back on, they wanted to do it differently than those Scots... So, the Scottish played with the middle of their fingers (sounds so hard), therefore the Irish adopted the tips of their fingers (as had been done by their flute players - easier adjustment).

It was also mentioned that the outfit must be different than the Scots while playing this majestic instrument... Irish apparently needed to draw on their uniqueness here... Tartan was connected with the Scots, and so saffron was introduced to the pattern to make it uniquely Irish. (Their armies were the ones who were playing these instruments by the way, so rather than outfit, I suppose I should say "uniform")...

Tartan and Saffron, not your "every day" words...
What is tartan? Click here to see the many styles of pattern. *all colors
What is saffron? Click here. Apparently, the distinction is the color.
Don't worry. I had to research too!

For even more about the history from the Irish perspective of the bagpipe, click here.

From some real bagpipers... 
Here's a quick clip you might like from France at the International Bagpipe Festival of '57. How are they playing that base while walking with two people?!. Click here.
And if you are one of those who doesn't like this instrument at all (and I know you exist!), try this version of Thunderstruck, and see if you change your mind... Complete with flames and "dancing" here. Is he really playing???

A goal...(or two)
You might've thought I would say "play a bagpipe"... I've tried on a kid's one, and you have to have lungs of steel!! I think that counts enough... I will just make my goal to watch the movie Made of Honor again in the next few weeks!! You remember, right? Who can forget McDreamy in a kilt??? If you did, see below... And yes, good sirs, I clap along with you!!


Bagpipe-inspired fashion...
And let's translate our bagpipe lore into fashion of today...
What do you think?!
My boss would definitely send me home if I wore this to work, but it's kind of impressive in its own way!! Enjoy!!

And, at your local Macy's...
Bringing it to the commoners' level with my friend, Macy's... Check out this rich color with great reviews and to buy right here. "Dressed to Kilt" is a perfect compliment to any outfit...

And now, while speaking of instruments and making music!!

Looking up...
A Bible reference to start your day with joy:
"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord..." PLEASE read all of Psalm 100 right here
It's a delight!! And I've noticed, even when I don't feel like being thankful, when I stop and give thanks, my soul starts feel light again... Try it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment