Friday, January 23, 2015

Coffeehouse Craziness

Who doesn't love a good   Starbucks   coffee or tea? Or take your local brand and fill it in the blank.... MMMMMM.. Especially for a month like January. I can almost smell that distinct coffeehouse smell that I love so much!

Personal Background...
I hate coffee (too bitter), but I love the smell. Buy me a coffee-scented candle any day of the week, and I'm happy!!
Despite turning down coffee after coffee from well-meaning friends, I DO LOVE me some tea.. hot tea! YUM...
Bag tea = good. Chai from Starbucks with all the calories = deliciousness (and trying to buy only Monday mornings).

So, a little history...
Where did the coffeehouse begin?
I found this book that peaked my curiosity: The Coffee House: A Cultural History. Click on title to connect to Amazon where you can purchase. So, below, I am copying the synopsis, which I found fascinating... The reviews have made me even more curious to learn more...
"When the first coffeehouse opened in London in 1652, customers were bewildered by this strange new drink from Turkey—hot, bitter, and black as soot. But those who tried coffee were soon won over, and more coffee-houses were opened across London, America, and Europe. For a hundred years the coffeehouse occupied the center of urban life, creating a distinctive social culture. They played a key role in the explosion of political, financial, scientific, and literary change in the 18th century, as people gathered, discussed, and debated issues within their walls."
It was mentioned that the coffeehouse started in homes in England in actual parlours. Men often used the spot for discussing politics, their work, or common topics of the day. There's also mention of it even as a setting to meet future women for courting purposes... Doesn't sound a whole lot different than coffeehouses of today! It just slowly transitioned out of people's homes into their own establishments, and wah-la! We are junkies for a good coffeehouse vibe...

From a real Starbucks barista...
Just for the fun of it, check out this interview and laugh your head off! You might have already seen this, but even if you have, see again here.
Take a look at why they misspell your name and its effectiveness! Please excuse the language... Cover your kiddos', pets', and any other innocent creatures' ears first!! Yikes! Sorry!

Coffee - Popping out all over! Or POOPing(?) out all over!!?!? 
Check these facts out from NPR here, friends... Again, another reason to convert to tea - immediately!
The article is short, but in even shorter form: Elephants eat coffee beans, poop them out, and workers collect them, then selling them to you as Black Ivory Coffee! Yes, indeed. In the link above, you can even see pictures! They say "The aroma is floral"! Oh really? For some reason, I'm just not buying that - figuratively or literally!
Here's the big guy helping this process along:


A goal... (or two)
I mentioned that it's only Monday mornings that I indulge in my favorite non-fat, no water, no foam Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks...ONLY Mondays is the goal... I am cutting back to that NOW. What I've been doing is starting the work day about 2-3x/week with one of those aforementioned Chai Latte - non-fat, but not non-calorie! Gotta cut back... Who is with me?! Is there a Caffeine Anonymous created out there somewhere? I'm sure I'll have withdrawals!

Coffeehouse-inspired fashion...
Take a look at this, ladies... She is on the runway with a coffee cup!! No joking!! Thinking I need to walk in my local Starbucks in this outfit on Monday (and only Monday!) and strut my stuff all the way to the counter!! You in?!?

And, at your local Macy's...
I'm not sure why this is "coffeehouse", but it's right there in the name of this sweet little jacket, and it's only $49!! Yep, and it's cute! I like that color! It's in my cart... click here to grab it too!


Looking up...
So, I know that the Lord is my strength (and shield)!! The Bible tells me so, and I have countless of personal experiences to back that up... So, if He is really my strength, I am interested in tapping into that -- every day! Sunday through Saturday, and particularly, all days not Monday when NO caffeine will be involved for a strength boost! Thank you, Lord, for powering me up and getting me through!! Click here to read more about that verse!

No comments:

Post a Comment